Khoury College of Computer Sciences
Master of Science in Computer Science
Are you a software engineer, software development engineer, related computer science professional, or recent computer science graduate with ambitious goals? Prepare to take on new projects, learn and develop new technologies, hold a leadership role, and help advance the field of computer science. The Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) is known for industry connections and diverse project and work opportunities. See what Miami, the #1 city for tech job growth and migration, has to offer in this challenging computer science masters program (Forbes, 2022).
The Master of Science in Computer Science prepares computer science (CS) professionals in approximately two years to tackle diverse challenges and build the latest technologies. Refine your knowledge and gain expertise in three breadth areas: 1) systems and software, 2) theory and security, and 3) artificial intelligence and data science.
In this program, you can:
- Prepare for more complex roles, research, or specialized positions with your current company—or take part in experiential co-op and internship opportunities with one of Khoury College’s 700+ partner companies
- Increase your earning potential with a degree from Northeastern, an R1 research institution
- Contribute to the dynamic field of CS with innovative project work across industries
Develop your professional network in Miami
Miami has transformed into a diverse economic powerhouse with ideal characteristics for new businesses and vibrant lifestyles. Northeastern University’s Miami campus is located in Wynwood, a popular neighborhood studded with murals by some of the world’s best-known street artists. The district offers a range of trendy boutiques, restaurants, and nightclubs. Some of the country’s most innovative companies have opened offices here, including Spotify, Live Nation, PwC, and venture capital firms Founders Fund and Atomic.
Miami’s growing tech sector is attracting creative tech professionals from across the country. FinTech, HealthTech, and crypto capital lead the sector, with other key focus industries that include aviation, banking and finance, creative design, hospitality and tourism, technology and innovation, life sciences and healthcare, and trade and logistics.
What makes Miami a destination for professionals looking to advance their careers?
- #1 city for tech job growth and migration (Forbes, 2022)
- Record-breaking $5.5 billion venture capital invested—#1 in the Southeast U.S. and #9 overall nationwide—when larger tech hubs are seeing 25%–40% decreases (Forbes, Refresh Miami, 2022)
- $2.28 billion in venture capital to FinTech, $1.1 billion in VC to HealthTech, $859 million in VC to crypto and blockchain (Refresh Miami, 2021)
Northeastern University’s Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) program at Khoury College of Computer Sciences prepares recent graduates or working professionals who have a background in computer science (CS) for exciting, high-paying positions in research and industry within the field.
- Refine your knowledge of computer science in a program with deep connections to diverse businesses and organizations
- Build skills across three breadth areas: 1) systems and software, 2) theory and security, and 3) artificial intelligence and data science
- Select from exciting areas including AI, information security, networks, programming languages, software engineering, systems, and more
Opportunities in Miami
Miami offers an ideal environment for business, with no local personal or corporate income tax and no state personal income tax for individuals or businesses. Companies and young professionals are flocking here, with particular emphasis on the tech sector. The rapidly expanding economy, dynamic tech sector, and vibrant lifestyle of the city has led to unprecedented growth. It’s a strategic place to grow your network and experience while advancing your skills in this computer science masters program.
- #1 city for tech job growth and migration (Forbes, 2022)
- #1 in the Southeast U.S. and #9 overall nationally for venture capital invested (Forbes, 2022)
- #2 for emerging tech hubs (Forbes, 2021)
- 30% of migrating companies have moved to Miami from San Francisco, a world-leading tech center
- Opportunities for paid, full-time, 4–8 month co-ops or internships with key organizations like Amazon/AWS, Meta, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Salesforce, and more during your computer science masters program
- Project work with a range of co-op partners, from world-leading multinational corporations to creative startups disrupting entire industries
- Interdisciplinary curriculum incorporating web development, network security, and machine learning
- Renowned faculty driving change across the industry
- Develop the ability to recognize and solve problems arising in modern computing
- Assimilate ideas and concepts from theoretical studies and hands-on design and programming
- Acquire skills in software and application design, network infrastructure, and other dynamic and emerging computer science areas
- Our MCSC graduates have found success in a wide range of careers, including:
- +22% job growth for positions requiring a master’s in computer science compared to the average job growth rate of 7–8% (2020–2030, USBLS)
- +7.1% salary growth in one year for those with a degree in computer science (Winter 2021 Salary Survey, National Association of Colleges and Employers)
- The top employer of graduates of the MSCS program is Amazon. MSCS graduates also find employment with companies like Google, Meta, Microsoft, F5, Nordstrom, GoDaddy, McKinsey, Zillow, Snowflake, Salesforce, Carfax, and Coinbase.
- MSCS program graduates hold positions such as software development engineer, software engineer, consultant, full-stack developer, and more
Tuition and Aid
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2023-2024 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships. Learn more from Student Financial Services.
For 100+ years, we’ve designed our programs with one thing in mind—your success. Explore the current program requirements and course descriptions, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
Diverse experiential opportunities
Northeastern University is known as one of the best institutions for co-op and internship opportunities. Northeastern’s Khoury College of Computer Sciences can help facilitate advanced project work for you within your current company or help connect you with the college’s 700+ industry partners, made up of established corporations and unique startups, nonprofits, and governmental organizations.
- Paid, full-time computer science co-op or internship opportunities (4–8 months)
- Many companies offer co-op students full-time employment after graduation
Advance your skills and network in Miami’s rapidly expanding tech industry
Northeastern’s Miami campus is strategically situated in Wynwood, one of the hottest and fastest growing centers for tech in the United States. The Silicon Valley of the South, Wynwood’s eye-catching street art, central location, walkable streets, and growing tech presence puts you at the center of the city’s creative culture. A range of industry titans have opened up offices here, including Spotify, Technology SA, Blockchain.com, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Founders Fund, and more.
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||August 1, 2023|
How to Apply
Learn more about Khoury College’s admissions process and required materials.
Complete the form below and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.