College of science
Master of Science in Bioinformatics
Northeastern University’s Master of Science in Bioinformatics provides cross-disciplinary training in biology, computer science, and data analytics—along with real-world experience. The program prepares graduates to play pivotal roles in today’s cutting-edge life science, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical industries focused on genomics, proteomics, personalized medicine, drug discovery, and cancer therapy.
Northeastern University is committed to delivering cutting-edge programs that foster interdisciplinary thinking, research, and the pursuit of innovation-driven discoveries that impact lives. That commitment and vision are at the core of the MS in Bioinformatics. The program’s cross-disciplinary training prepares graduates to succeed in multiple roles in this new and growing field.
Combining challenging academics in biology, computer science, and information technology with real-world experience, the program helps students integrate the knowledge, skills, experience, and confidence they need to achieve their goals and make a difference in our world.
The Master of Science in Bioinformatics is structured to provide students with the skills and knowledge to develop, evaluate, and deploy bioinformatics and computational biology applications. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for employment in the biotechnology sector, where the need for knowledgeable life scientists with quantitative and computational skills has exploded in the past decade.
Increase your impact in areas that interest you
The following concentrations are available on our Miami campus:
- Bioinformatics Enterprise: This concentration integrates business and management skills with the science of bioinformatics.
- Biotechnology: This option provides students without a biotechnology background with a strong foundation in basic biotech concepts and skills.
- Omics: This concentration prepares students to analyze large data sets related to genomics, proteomics, transcriptomics, and evolving newomics fields.
- Coursework Option: Students are not required to declare a concentration. With the coursework option, students select 12 credits of electives in place of concentration-specific courses.
- Students gain work experience through a co-op position.
- Our curriculum combines core bioinformatics programming courses with a diverse range of electives that offers students the flexibility to specialize and build broader knowledge in both the life sciences and computer science.
- Our students receive a solid, experience-based foundation in the field that gives them a competitive edge in the high-demand job market for trained bioinformaticians.
The Master of Science in Bioinformatics consists of core coursework in computational methods, programming, and statistics, enhanced by electives in molecular biology, biochemistry, molecular modeling, web development, database design and management, data mining, and other related topics.
- Attain core knowledge in bioinformatics programming.
- Integrate knowledge from biological, computational, and mathematical disciplines.
- Gain professional work experience via co-op.
- In the last three years, 94% of our graduates were employed in industry or research.
- The average salary for a bioinformatician in Miami is estimated at around $98,000 as of June 2023.
Tuition and Aid
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2023-2024 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time.
Find detailed information on tuition and fees from Student Financial Services.
Finance Your Education
We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships. Learn more from Student Financial Services.
For 100+ years, we’ve designed our programs with one thing in mind—your success. Explore the current program requirements and course descriptions, all designed to meet today’s industry needs and must-have skills.
Northeastern’s signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace. This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Applicants must submit the online application and all required admission materials no later than the stated deadlines to be considered for admission. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
Complete the form below and our team will connect with you to discuss your questions and options.